[pct-l] cooking in Spithern California

Jay Bruins jbruins at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 10:11:05 CDT 2015

As I recall, the distinction between a fire (including a cooking fire) and a stove is a "positive shut-off valve". Esbit tablets don't have an off valve.

In areas where the fire rules are driven by lack of downed wood (eg the Sierra, historically), I doubt a ranger would care. Where it's a question of fire safety (eg the Sierra last summer and SoCal pretty much always), perhaps you should follow the letter of the law.

I don't have the actual wording handy, but here's a synopsis: http://www.pcta.org/2014/critical-things-2014-fire-season-16533/

Hope that helps,