[pct-l] Umbrella

Michael Irving michaeljirving at gmail.com
Sat Apr 11 23:00:33 CDT 2015

Mademoiselle,

The I've used both the Montbell and the GoLite.  The Montbell with the
cover on it is 5 5/8 oz.  I used it originally and now have moved to the
GoLite since last season.  The GoLite is 25" Long and the Montbell is 20"
long when open.  When closed, the Montbell is 9" long.  The only thing
besides its weight that I like better about the Montebello is that is has a
cool little loop on its top that you could hang it from something for a
makeshift "roof" if you were staying in once place.  There are too many
negatives for it for me though.  The biggies are that it's much too
fragile.  The GoLite feels very robust compared to the Montbell.  The next
biggest detraction are the multi-folding dome part that makes it so
compact.  They feel so fragile and you have to manually "break" and start
to fold each one if them when putting the umbrella away which takes some
time...enough to be irritating, particularly during showers where you need
it intermittently.  I also don't like the hard handle.  The soft handle and
top nub of the GoLite with indented circular ribs allow it to easily be
stored on the outside of a pack without slipping down or affixed to your
pack strap for no-handed use.  I never could do that with the hard domed
plastic handle of the Montbell...plus, with the shorter length of the
handle it also makes it hard to do no-handed use.  The GoLite is so much
better and worth the extra couple ounces.  The Montbell doesn't have the
silver covering for sun either and the thinner material would allow more
light/heat through too.

Hope that helps!

GoalTech