[pct-l] Map and Compass

Tom Grundy caver456 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 15:33:45 CDT 2014

Having a GPS without not knowing how to use it or when to trust it or when
to not trust it has been the cause of a WHOLE lot of SAR calls around the
world over the years.  It's like the digital version of saying "I did use
my compass!  I just followed the red arrow all day!  I don't know how I got
lost!"  Using a GPS with good judgment can be a big help, but I would never
go with a GPS without a paper map to back it up.  If you can read a topo
well, have a sense of time of day, season, and latitude, and you're in
terrain with any sort of identifiable features, and weather good enough to
actually see them, then compass is a safety-backup-luxury and usually never
comes out of the bag.

A few years back, Boots borrowed my GPS when heading to southern Oregon in
a high snow year.  I had loaded halfmile's latest tracks and we went over
how to use the basic features to locate the trail.  Sure enough, she did
end up using it to find the trail in a snowpack and to guide another hiker
to the trail who had given up and sat down to wait for another hiker to
come along.

Bottom line: map, compass, iphone, gps, whatever - the best tool you can
take is your brain, and luckily it's hard to leave at home.  Unfortunately
a lot of folks can and do decide to bring tools that they haven't taken the
time to learn how to use.

Stay safe out there!