[pct-l] It's map AND compass

Sean Nordeen sean.nordeen at gmail.com
Mon Sep 8 17:46:42 CDT 2014

I can remember having several conversations/arguments with other PCT
hikers about the merits of carrying a compass on the PCT as some argue
that one wasn't needed.  Given that you can get some pretty
lightweight ones that are even multiple use items, I don't see why
some people don't carry one.  Even that keyring thermometer with the
tiny compass that REI sells would be better then nothing.

The one I use weighs 0.8oz (Brunton 27LU) and has a sight mirror which
was useful of fishing mosquitos out of my eye (twice) and putting
in/taking out contacts, it was a nice dual use item.  I like to argue
that it also could be used as a signaling mirror, but the small size
suggests it would be a poor one.

-Miner