[pct-l] Columbia Hiking Hat....

Pat Wormington airecrew09 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 24 09:59:32 CDT 2014

I have hopefully just misplaced my favorite hiking hat that has traveled
down the entire length of the PCT and has been on numerous trail crews
with me.  I tried to buy a new one after completing the PCT but the
styles had changed to neck shades that droop down on the back of your
neck instead of sticking out in the back allowing air flow as well as
shade.  At sunrise I would wear that hat sideways to block out the sun
and get a full view of the trees.  I wore out the edge of the brim
taking it off and on as the shade and sun dictated thus wearing out the
edge of the brim.  I ended up repairing the hat with wine colored seam
binding and glue when I was unable to find a replacement.  It is a
Columbia off white colored hat, SPF 50, with a large baseball type brim,
a neck shade with two layers of fabric that you can roll up when not
needed that sticks out in the back when rolled down, and a collar clip
to keep the hat from going over the edge in a wind storm.  I had
replaced the plastic clip with a more durable metal one.  It had a tab
that says GERT that I would use to park the collar clip on.    If anyone
knows of a similar style of hat I would appreciate knowing about it.
Cheers......Jollylopper