[pct-l] Tahoe Yosemite Trail

Sean Nordeen sean.nordeen at gmail.com
Sun Oct 19 18:44:13 CDT 2014

I would like to thank everyone that responded to my questions last month
when I was asking for information about the 180 mile Tahoe Yosemite Trail
which shares about half its length with the PCT.  I particularly would like
to thank Jim who provided me with some scans of the maps in his out of
print guidebook.

The trip went well though it was harder then I had expected.  Navigational
concerns about the unmaintained trail sections turned out to be overblown
from what I had originally feared.  I ran into a trail crew clearing trail
along Summit City Creek which have reduce the unmaintained portion there by
almost half in the last 3 years.  For the remaining unmaintained portion,
though the going was slow, I had no problems following the route.  The
other reported problem area near Clark Fork Meadow was in pretty good shape
except for the very end by the meadow and the cross country portion to St.
Mary's Pass was pretty straight forward though strenuous due to the steep
climbing.  I'd have to rate the trail harder to hike then doing the PCT
section there.  I think the route finding issues were a good entry level
introduction to navigating on the CDT minus the daily getting lost.

I uploaded ~600 photos of the trail here:
https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/101959459060694461370/albums/6066419014994638129

My online journal of the trip is at postholer:
http://www.postholer.com/journal/viewJournal.php?event_id=2319

I also made a quick reference pdf guide to the trail (like I did with the
Tahoe Rim Trail) here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-66BZUOzlFBb0NUZXZhQ3IweG8/view?usp=sharing

Links to the guide and photos are also in my journal in the after trip
entries.

Thanks again,
-Miner