[pct-l] Pct-L Digest, Vol 82, Issue 13

David Money Harris David_Harris at hmc.edu
Sun Oct 19 08:50:03 CDT 2014

Tim,

I use a Sawyer filter inline with a Platypus hydration hoser 100 oz.  On most sections I carry 1 or 2 32-oz gatorade bottles for extra capacity, and in the desert, I add the 70 oz platy bottle and possibly a third gatorade bottle for 7-8 quarts maximum capacity.  This is the least labor intensive system I’ve found other than not treating water, though it gets tedious drinking through a tube all summer and I look forward to the sections of the trail where there are clean water sources and I can drink untreated from the gatorade bottles.

I seem to remember I’ve had to replace one platypus bladder in the past three years, and it might have been due to damage by animals when it was in my garage.

I haven’t used the Sawyer bags, but there was a thread on this list several years ago where folks were complaining about Saywer bags failing regularly.

Happy trails,

David