[pct-l] Winter PCT Attempt

Ned Tibbits ned at mountaineducation.org
Thu Oct 16 14:16:53 CDT 2014

Years ago, back in the early '80s, I took a Kifaru sled down the length of
the JMT, but that was during the consolidated snow months of March/April at
the end of a heavy winter. It is not impossible, but a whole lot safer and
quicker when done on consolidated, less avalanche-prone snow. I've also
snow-shoed the PCT once and boot-packed it many times during the months of
April thru July (heavy winters).

Winter, powder snow involves a huge endeavor, takes lots more time since on
days when you can "go" you do about 1mph at best, burns a ton more energy,
and will include many days waiting out storms in your tent. Avalanches are a
daily occurrence during the winter in the high sierra and in comparison, are
rare to infrequent in the spring (aspect, wind, sun, and snowpack
dependent).

Skiing the route with a winter pack? It's not the up-hill that is difficult;
skinning is pretty simple. It is the downhill control with a heavy pack that
is hazardous. This requires someone who has had lots of time to perfect
backcountry powder skiing with that pack to begin to be safe negotiating the
anticipated slopes. Don't forget, surface conditions will not be ideal "pow"
nor "corn" most of the time, but will have ice and wind crusts on deep,
soft, breakable pack, so the going will not be easy even in that respect.

Mr. Dittli, as a DWR snow surveyor, has skied much of the area and could add
a valuable perspective to this plausibility. I don't know how heavy his pack
is when he goes in for a week or so, but I have certainly followed his
tracks in the spring (May) and seen photos of his downhill turns and
speculate that he has a fairly light pack since he stays in backcountry
ranger stations rather than tenting on the snow. JD?

As Mary said, where backpacking was more of a leisurely recreation in the
past, it is trending toward an extreme sport where faster and farther is
rewarded. Doing the PCT in the winter, during powder snow months, is one
thing I think I would rather leave alone. There are more things I want to do
in life that are safer!

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education, Inc.
www.mountaineducation.org
ned at mountaineducation.org

Mission:
"To minimize wilderness accidents, injury, and illness in order to maximize
wilderness enjoyment, safety, and personal growth, all through experiential
education and risk awareness training."