[pct-l] Disrespect of the PCT

Kev hikevv at gmail.com
Fri May 30 14:23:36 CDT 2014

On this, remember that there exists the "Outrage Generator" effect of web /
social media today that tends to quickly propagate news of bad bahavior.
If some clowns trashed the restroom at Warner Springs ten years ago, we'd
only have heard about it later, in passing, MAYBE. Does anyone else
remember that the bear boxes at Kearsarge Lakes were removed because too
many LD hikers were using them as resupply caches / trash dropoffs?
But now, with smart phones and increased trail traffic, stories get out
immediately, spread quickly, and though none of us are pleased to hear
them, I'm not certain that the bad behavior is new to the younger
generation.  Though anecdotal, the long-view observations from Hiker Heaven
are worth considering.
For the other issues, (trash, water caching, traffic, and whatever else),
it'll work out, as self-policing gets better, maybe fewer TA's caching or
hosting.  Sure - for the next few years the trail will see a 'Wild' effect,
just as AT traffic bumped in the years after Bill Bryson's book published.
We'll hear stories more and more often. Maybe some of it is new, but bad
behavior has always been with us, though not reported so efficiently.

Kevin Corcoran
PCTA Trail Volunteer, Reg 1 Sec E
"Section E rocks!!"

Message: 1