[pct-l] Disrespect of the PCT

Chris Hauser cehauser1 at yahoo.com
Sat May 24 23:36:56 CDT 2014

I don't want to sound like a sour old man (I'm only 40), but I think we are getting a first taste of the next American generation.  I don't know a lot about the PCT culture, but I strongly suspect the PCT amenities (like ADXPCTKO, water caches, trail angels, etc) are not to blame.  Also, I don't think any of the PCT books or movies is to blame.  It is simply that we are getting a taste of a new culture of self-entitlement.  It is our future.

I was in graduate school 12-15 years ago, and I was a teaching assistant for freshman level classes (chemistry, biology, and botany).  All the seasoned teachers and professors were mourning the change in the incoming generation of students.  Many of these kids were expecting lots of hand-holding, they would challenge teachers about their grades, they would complain when they were caught plagiarizing stuff from the internet, and their parents would call professors to complain about their low grades.  I have seen this sense of self-entitlement becoming more prominent in the years since.

This generation I taught back then (and also the generation afterwards), is now in their 20's and 30's, and some of them are hiking the PCT this year.  I agree that at least 95% of the people in that generation are probably fine, but many of them have been trained their entire lives to expect stuff to be handed to them (because they DESERVE it), and that "bad apple" top 5% is pathologically self-entitled.  These people were never taught to consider how their actions might affect other people, or they were taught that they deserve to have people tend to their needs.  We will always be disappointed when we expect these people to (1) make a donation, (2) clean up their own mess, (3) take responsibility for themselves.

So... I would caution you all to consider 2 things:  (1) don't blame any of this on the PCT amenities... so be thoughtful in how you make changes to the PCT culture, and (2) don't expect it to go away a few years after the "Wild" movie is gone from the theaters... so think very long-term in how you approach changes to the PCT culture.  For example, I think TA's charging for services might be a good idea, but it might also back-fire... I can hear it now:  "I PAID $5 for this shower, so I'm going to stand in the hot water for 30 minutes... I don't care how many other hikers are waiting for me to get out."  It is just how they see their place in the world.

Chris.