[pct-l] Needs to be said

Brick Robbins brick at brickrobbins.com
Wed May 21 20:17:41 CDT 2014

I looked at the pictures and read the note, and I think there is
another possibility than the the "horrible hikers that left a huge bag
of trash"

I wasn't there so I of course I don't know for sure, but this sort of
jives with something I've seen.

The picture was of a full huge plastic bag on a Bear Box.

I find it very unlikely that a group of hikers would carry enough
packaging on their food to fill a bag like that with trash. I also
doubt a bag like that would survive very many hours on the ground
without being torn up, which it wasn't in the picture

I think it is more likely that the culprits brought in too much food,
and left it in a Bear Box with that note, intending to offer it to
anyone who wanted it, asking them to carry out the resulting trash
when they were done.

Leaving food in the often crowded bear boxes is not appropriate, nor
is it to be condoned, but "giving away food" by leaving it in a Bear
Box is quite a bit less egregious than leaving a bag of trash out on
the trail.

Yes this is all just conjecture on my part, but I have seen bear boxes
with discarded food in them before, labeled as such. And yes, I've
eaten it an carried out the resulting trash.

Does anyone have any more information on this than that which was
written on the PCTA blog post?