[pct-l] [SPAM] Needs to be said

Robert E. Riess robert.riess at cox.net
Wed May 21 16:09:55 CDT 2014

We have not yet begun to witness what this year's crop of rookies will try
to get away with.  I am expecting litter, graffiti, drunkenness, theft,
noise, rudeness and all manner of unsociable behavior.  It is not a private
matter.  When it reflects unkindly upon the trail, it reflects unkindly upon
all hiker.  You can tell a lot about the people from their note.  Nobody
"backpacks" the PCT.  Hikers carry packs.  Middle school kids carry
backpacks.  I'll bet they talk about the Sierras, too.  Sierra is plural. I
hope there are enough veteran hikers out there to teach the newbies their
trail manners, and I hope they are not shy about doing it.  Before folks
rail back at me, I freely acknowledge I have almost no long distance hiking
credentials.  But I know slobs when I see them.  BR