[pct-l] Mount Kilimanjaro

Seymour Rifkind rifkinds at interface-group.com
Sun May 18 15:12:07 CDT 2014

I climbed Mt. Kilimanjaro in 1990 and the difficulty of the climb is
directly related to the route you select (there are probably 6
different ones) one you can drive a jeep half way up and some which
are extremely technical. The amount of time you give yourself to climb
is also an important factor as the more time you give yourself the
better chance to properly acclimate. I climbed the Lemosho route and
it was pristine no crowds in fact we saw nobody until our final summit
push. I was also on the mountain for close to two weeks.
Mountaineering is very different from just hiking and the altitude
brings a host of medical issues which can arise and be deadly. I would
not take this climb lightly. I've known people in great shape that
experienced severe altitude sickness and had to go down. I would
medications in case of an emergency and would also consider looking
into a guide service which has actually climbers and medical staff not
a trekking school which doesn't have the experience the recognize
problems both on the mountain and more importantly individual health
concerns. Although Kilimanjaro is not a technical mountain it is a
strenuous climb if you take some of the more challenging routes and
because of the altitude should be respected.