[pct-l] Hanging Food vs. Tent

Luce Cruz lucecruz13 at gmail.com
Sat May 10 17:03:27 CDT 2014

On Sat, May 10, 2014 at 2:48 PM, Michael Irving <michaeljirving at gmail.com>wrote:

> My perception from this list and PCT blogs is that most hikers don't hang
> their food.

I don't hang my food. I always use a bear can, but not always because of
bears. It is a great seat, it protects my food from damage and critters
great and small including insects, and just doesn't seem as heavy as
getting my food stolen or contaminated.

If a critter can chew through a tent and find your food, what is preventing
them from climbing a tree and finding your food? Maybe that is a gross
over-simplification or misunderstanding I have, but the bear can has so far
prevented food pilfering, and likely will continue to do so.

--
Luce Cruz