[pct-l] Cooking with canned gas

Jennifer Zimmerman jenniferlzim at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 16:51:18 CDT 2014

My experience this summer was similar to Fireweed's except I don't have the
great data to back it up.  Our canister seemed to last forever on one
boil/day of 1-1.5 L water for our lunch.  I was also worried about the "dry
stretch" from Tahoe-Ashland, but even if we had ended up needing the fuel
we came across it at a few towns in that long section.

I used a Soto stove, the older model with the dome-shaped burner.  For a
windscreen I used a caldera cone fitted to our pot.  It rested on a long
rectangle of hardware cloth that I'd bend into a semicircle and stand on
edge around the canister when setting up the stove.  This left 3-4" of
clearance under the cone for air intake and ventilation.  When trying this
setup initially I was worried about the canister overheating, but it was
never an issue - the gap provided enough cooling and it never got more than
warm to the touch.  Once the weather got cold in Washington I think I even
got a boost to performance because some of the burner heat was redirected
down at the fuel can.  This was a very efficient setup and I would use it
again.

Canister availability in Southern California is good, so even if you run
out you probably won't have very long to go until you can buy another.  By
the time it becomes more scarce you ought to have a lot of confidence in
usage rate.

JZ