[pct-l] First time on PCT--need help planning travel!

Brick Robbins brick at brickrobbins.com
Thu Mar 27 16:02:15 CDT 2014

On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 10:51 AM, Elizabeth King <ekingc at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone: This summer will be my first time backpacking and my first
> time on the PCT. We are planning to fly in to Reno-Tahoe and we want to do
> 5 days or so in the Northern CA section of the Trail (probably Lake Tahoe
> area??). We plan to stay at a hotel one night after arriving to Reno-Tahoe
> and starting on the trail the next day. We're having a hard time figuring
> out how to get to the trail and where exactly to start.

I suggest you Fly into South Lake Tahoe and start at the Echo Lake
Chalet Trailhead.

7 mile drive or about a 5 mile walk from the South Lake Tahoe Airport
http://goo.gl/Ffww84

If you are set into flying into Reno, then there are public
transportation options like https://www.southtahoeexpress.com/ that
will get you to South Lake Tahoe.

A good route would be to follow the PCT north, through the Desolation
Wilderness,  then leave the PCT and continue on the Tahoe Rim Trail
towards Tahoe City, then around the lake, depending on how far "5
days" is for you. You can bail off the TRT at lots of places and
easily get back to the South Lake Tahoe Airport when your time runs
out via TART. http://www.placer.ca.gov/Departments/Works/transit/TART.aspx