[pct-l] Poison Oak Recovery

Vimal Golding bungovi at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 22:56:13 CDT 2014

Marion,
Poison oak rash is an allergic reaction to poison oak oils. During the
reaction phase, when it is swollen, itchy or even oozy and blistery you
don't want to use any lotions on it, especially oil/wax based lotions that
may lock in bacteria. I've had oozy poison oak lead to infection before, so
this is what you are trying to avoid. Wash frequently with just water or
herbal soaps (jewel weed, grindelia, oatmeal, etc). Another thing that
works well is finding some plantain (a small, common wild plant, not the
banana relative) and mashing the leaves up into a poultice, very soothing.

After the allergic reaction subsides (1-3 weeks, depending on severity) you
are left with damaged, dry skin that itches not because it is a poison oak
rash, but because that is what damaged skin feels like when it is healing.
Doctors don't always seem to recognize this second stage, but it is a
distinct problem with distinct treatments. At this stage (no oozing, dry
and maybe scabby) you should start breaking out the moisturizers. You can
use what you like, but I have excellent success with aloe (health food
stores sell 100% aloe that you are supposed to drink, I use it topically),
and herbal skin salves.

Like you said, I'm an expert-from-experience. Sounds like you will be soon
too!

Veg