[pct-l] Deet!

DayLate07 . dthibaul07 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 22:22:08 CDT 2014

I think, at least for me, that DEET works better at keeping the bugs away.
It doesn't last very long just a few hours though.  Also I could find DEET
based products everywhere - while premethrin wasn't that available.  I
shipped myself some  permethrin at Kennedy Meadows and treated my clothes
there.  I really noticed that my pants didn't seem to be as effective after
a week or so but they were wet so often from stream crossings in the
sierra's that I'm sure I just washed away most of it.

I distinctly remember observing 5 different species of mosquitos when I
hiked, I'm sure I encountered more but I only was able to segment them into
5 distinct groups.   Besides looking physically different they had
behavioral differences too - such as how quickly they would bite after
landing and where they tended to land.   I also found that if I stopped at
a spot, say a campsite for the night, and spent a good 5 to 10 minutes just
sitting still and killing every one that came too me that I wouldn't be
bothered by them very much afterwards.  But for the first 5 to 10 minutes I
would have to seriously concentrate on killing every one that landed on
me.  There is some satisfaction in doing that anyway.

Day-Late