[pct-l] mailing gas canisters

Barry Teschlog tokencivilian at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 20 19:20:53 CDT 2014

Trevor (and the rest of the list).  You got my hackles up on this subject.

The reason flammable material is ground shipped only is because it is extremely dangerous to have this material on passenger aircraft.  Mail is typically "belly cargo" while the upstairs is filled with people.  Even on dedicated cargo aircraft, properly packed, declared, etc, flammable materials are highly dangerous.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ValuJet_Flight_592
110 dead people from illegally shipped flammable cargo.  "The oldest person aboard the jet was 84-year old Conway Hamilton....and the youngest was 4 year-old Daniel Darbor."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Parcel_Service_Flight_6
2 dead pilots from a cargo fire of lithium batteries.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Airliner_accidents_and_incidents_caused_by_in-flight_fires
Countless others dead from in flight fires from a variety of causes.

So, don't try and sneak dangerous sh*t onto a passenger aircraft (by way of a flat rate box).  Buy your fuel along the way or have it shipped in full compliance with all applicable regulations.

And besides - alcohol stoves are banned from large sections of the trail this year anyways.  You won't need HEET.

http://www.pcta.org/2014/2014-pct-fire-restrictions-california-16670/

Get a cartridge or white gas stove of some sort with a positive shut off valve, or go cook less.

Trevor - Please tell me you're not serious..............."get away with shipping
HEET in Flat Rate boxes"?????? Don't try that. I can only assume that the USPS has regulations for a reason, and I suspect
the reason is that HEET IS FLAMMABLE. Yogi
www.yogisbooks.com On Thu, Mar 20, 2014 at 6:50 PM, Trevor McKee <trevormckee85 at yahoo.com>wrote: >anyone get away with shipping heet in flat rate boxes? >