[pct-l] ULA Relay

Diane Soini dianesoini at gmail.com
Fri Mar 14 15:09:59 CDT 2014

I love my ULA Relay. I think it would have been too small for me on the PCT because I got really super hungry. I got my Relay after I finished my hike but I did try to fit all my PCT gear in it and I couldn't fit it all. I also tried to sew on a stretchy pocket to the outside, but even then it was too small when I tried to also carry a big bear canister.

However, we're all different. Marcia (of Ken and Marcia, I think her trail name is "Gotta Walk") is planning a long hike with the Gossamer Gear Kumo. I have one of those and it's very similar in size and fit as the Relay. So if she can manage, maybe you can too.

The only way to find out is to pack all your stuff plus food and water. Put food for 10 days and about 5 liters of water (to estimate worse case-scenario, which is leaving out of Tehachapi). Put 10 days of food because you'll be more hungry than you've ever been in your life. Then try it with a big bear canister and 2 liters of water (which is worst case scenario for the JMT section). Then you'll know for sure.