[pct-l] Burney Falls State Park

Laura Reed 1pint2007 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 12 19:50:31 CDT 2014

Fuel - Last year when I went through they were completely out of all trail
fuel. They still had campground Coleman stuff, but nothing for us.

Food - Incredibly limited. I managed to resupply out of gas stations and
other spots along the trail that had way more that I could carry out onto
the trail than this store. This may have been an unlucky timing issue, but
I wasn't able to get bread, tortillas, crackers, or any similar item. There
were bags and bags of chips though. The ice cream cones were good. And the
frozen food available to nuke in the microwave was okay.

Hiker Box - Some folks started hiker boxes but anything left around was
being thrown out at the end of each night by the staff.

Mountain Bikers (please don't turn this into a MB thread) - Saw my only
PCT  trail poachers on the miles approaching Burney Falls SP. Three
separate incidents with 3 riders over just a few miles. So be alert on this
section. I heard the same from other hikers that nearly collided with one
or more of these guys.

Trail Magic - There is a super friendly spot to sit and relax that may have
cold drinks and snack items south of Burney. I enjoyed meeting the Trail
Angels and signing the wooden picnic table they have out for everyone to
sign.

As with any resupply spot, it's hard to know what you'll encounter based on
where you are in the crowd and what day the store gets resupplied. I
remember walking into the store almost on the trail at Mammoth Lakes (can't
remember the name at the moment but it's right where you catch the bus to
the ski resort) and thinking "I could have done a full resupply out of
here." They had Lipton sides, tortillas, cheese, peanut butter, breakfast
bars, everything.

Enjoy your planning, that's a big part of the fun.
1Pint (aka Laura)