[pct-l] Snow depths now at Forester, Mather, Muir etc. passes

Anthony Biegen ajbiegen at gmail.com
Mon Jun 16 13:02:27 CDT 2014

Forrester - Vitually no snow on ths south side. Some on the other side but
most are doing it with no special gear. We set up to hit it early so the
snow was crusty and firm.

Mather - little snow on south side. A good amount on the north side. We
used our crampons which allowed us to move quickly down. Others used micro
spikes and were safe just going slower. Some route finding with several
paths down that went through a mix of snow and rocks. When I say route
finding I just mean picking the best way down. The trail down Boole was
quit clear.

Muir - Snow both sides. I tried to get. An early start and the lower 2/3
rds of the trail was firm. Above that it was mush. I'm talking double post
holing with you arms also sinking down when you try to pull yourself out.
Got to the top at about 10:20. Those a little earlier had same problems.
The only person I talked to who had an easy time crested at 5:30am. The
other side more if the same but with a lot if route finding and post holing
into slush. Had to use GutHook several times to figure out where the trail
was going. In general it is pretty easy to see you are going down Evolution
but the details are sketchy. Everyone I talked to just said that they were
glad it was over.

All these were from the past week. Conditions were changing rapidly as the
snow is melting quickly. Pictures from the top of Forrester were showing
less snow in just a couple of days.

All stream crossing so far up to VVR are low. Bear Creek was a little below
my knees so I didn't realized that I had already crossed the dangerous and
dreaded Bear Creek. Some one had to tell me I had already passed it.

TrailHacker