[pct-l] The insecure way is really the secure way.

Eric Lee saintgimp at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 17 18:05:59 CDT 2014

Iceaxe wrote:

Without telling me what to do..
What do you think of a 45 year old plumber with the obvious gaps in
employment suddenly pulling anchor and hitting the road?
Bare in mind i have all my tools aboard.
Am i going to become one of those crazy guys talking to himself and
collecting aluminum cans at rest stops? (I already talk to myself)

The goal in life is to figure out what you *really* want, then go after that
with a strategy that's likely to get it.  Having security and a roof over
one's head is honestly very important to some people (including me right now
given my stage of life with a wife and kids).  There's nothing wrong with
pursuing that if that's really what you want.  Other people value other
things.  There's nothing wrong with that, either.

I once read a book that said, "To choose one thing is to not choose many
other things."  That was a very illuminating statement for me.  No matter
what choices you make in life, you are necessarily giving up other other
things.  It's not possible to have it all.  So embrace that fact and when in
the future you find yourself wrestling with regret (because we all do),
remind yourself that you made the choices you wanted to make.

No matter what lifestyle you choose, remember that relationships and
community are important.  It can look different for different people, but
your odds of collecting aluminum cans at rest stops while talking to
yourself go way down if you have friends you can rely on.  That doesn't mean
you have to be anchored to one geographical place, but remember who your
friends and family are and keep in touch with them.  They are the safety net
that keeps you sane.

Eric