[pct-l] Bounce Box

Frank Dumville fdumville at earthlink.net
Sun Jul 13 20:01:28 CDT 2014

Jon,

I have experience using plastic buckets for bounce boxes. It worked fine but
you pay a little more for the heavier package.

To answer your questions.
>> 1. What type of box/container do folks recommend?  I've heard of people
>> using Home Depot buckets, which seem like they'd be very sturdy.  But do
>> the local PO's hassle you if you try to forward along a bucket?  Have
>> folks had any problems with the buckets getting looted along the way?
>> Any other containers that have worked for folks?

I re-used old bulk product buckets and I was told to mark out the original
product markings. Don't re-use something that originally contained some kind
of hazardous material like pool chlorine.
Some postal employees liked the buckets because they had a handle.
I never forwarded my bucket but I don't think it would be a problem as it
will be treated like other Priority Mail.
I would tape the top closed just like a box. No looting problems.
A box works too. It all depends on how much stuff you want to bounce. If
your stuff fits in one of the free priority mail boxes this might be a
better option. You can then replace the box if the post office has them in
stock.

>> 2. Any USPS regs that I need to be aware of?  For instance, is it legal
>> to mail a bucket?  Is there a maximum size/weight for a bounce-box?  Any
>> other gotchas that I might not encounter until I'm actually out on the
>> trail (and it's too late to change my bounce box)?  I'm aware of the USPS
>> regs regarding stove fuel, so I won't be shipping either alcohol or
>> butane in my box.

The post office will take pretty much anything you can put a mailing label
on. There are maximums based on how you send the package. See USPS.com for
details and a cost estimating tool. The home depot buckets are allowed.

>> 3. Any general advice on how best to manage a bounce box?  I'm not so
>> interested in advice of the form: "I didn't use a bounce box, and you
>> shouldn't either".  I've got some resupply issues that will be hard to
>> address (at least in OR and WA) without a bounce box.  What I would very
>> much appreciate is advice of the form:  "I used a bounce box, and here's
>> some tricks that I learned along the way that I wish I'd known when I
>> started".

Make sure you don't mail a bounce box to an address that doesn't have
outgoing mail service. A lot of the standard stops in OR and WA may NOT have
outgoing mail so you would be stuck with the package.
Check the post office hours at the next stop against your expected arrival
so you don't have an unexpected delay.
Use Priority Mail with tracking. This includes the free return/forwarding
service.
Include packing tape and a marking pen, particularly if you're using a box.
I included pre-printed mailing labels for each resupply stop and my home
address.
Mark your box or bucket so you can identify them from a distance.

Snap