[pct-l] "Business"...."THE NATURE OF THE BEAST"

ambery-80243 at mypacks.net ambery-80243 at mypacks.net
Wed Jul 9 08:45:31 CDT 2014

"Thus I see the problem in the near future, years to come, as being one of volume impact, just too many people (it already has been a problem for some people).  I think maybe that's why we are having discussions with relation to experienced trail helpers vs part time good samaritans.  This has already been touched on here recently in better language than I can spell out , but it is going to effect everyone in the social community of the PCT, those hiking, and those helping or wanting to help."

As much as this may be an unpopular thought, perhaps there is now what we might call "too much of a good thing".
As well intended as it is to offer help as a trail angel, I think it also encourages the volume of hikers and the number of hikers who expect to be helped out.   I'm starting to think it's too much.
Would as many hikers show up if they had to be more self sufficient? Would more of them drop out?  I don't know for sure, but if we end up with a trail angel at every crossing, then the very essence of getting "out here" and what I am trying to experience on the trail is disappearing.