[pct-l] California Section L Scenery

David Hough on pct-l pcnst2001 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jul 7 15:59:26 CDT 2014

Not too many people travel from distant lands to hike section L, and I couldn't

remember much about it from hiking southbound in 2002, so I did it again northbound
over July 4 weekend.     I was quite stunned by the wildflower displays on the barren
volcanic high points.     Mules ears particularly, and many others as well.
There are other flowery places along the PCT, but it's all a matter of being in

the right place at the right time.     The flowers probably peaked earlier than
usual this year - I wonder when the best time would be in a normal snow year?
There was hardly any snow visible anywhere, and the mosquitos lacked their usual
July 4 punch.  Although there are some long stretches without water (compared to the higher Sierra) the flowers didn't seem to mind.

All the evidences of past, present, and future logging are still around, but on the
whole the best parts of this section are remarkably well preserved.