[pct-l] "Business"

Michael Irving michaeljirving at gmail.com
Fri Jul 4 00:08:11 CDT 2014

Yogi,

I have a question that others on the list may be curious about too with all
this talk about Ned's program and how he may be perceived as a business
even though he only has suggested donations that are perhaps implied.  I
know in your book that I bought from you, you talk about making sure to pay
trail angels that we might choose to stay with and that you basically say
the expected amount of this donation is $20 per night, per person. My
understanding is that trail angels can't require payment or they would be
burdened with requirements and regulations of being a business, even if
they might have good intentions for their guests.  Certainly the risks are
different, but I'm sure there are all kinds of potential health issues they
have to watch out for with so many people congregating in one area.

Is this pretty much the same situation legally that you have a problem with
Ned's program?  It seems quite similar, but maybe I'm missing something.

Thanks for your great book by the way...great resource for sure...worth
every penny.

GoalTech/Mike

PS: Thanks to all you trail angels out there (including Yogi at Walker
Pass). I'm not suggesting any perceived violations here, just wondering
what the differences might be in these situations. (I understand that some
trail angel's who can afford it, don't even want donations...amazing
generosity for sure.)