[pct-l] storing food?

Diane Soini dianesoini at gmail.com
Mon Jan 27 21:02:04 CST 2014

On your question of storing food, I mostly just keep it in my tent.
Never had a problem. Had one mouse one night, but no bear problems.

In the areas that required a bear canister, I usually placed it far
from where I slept. Just put it on the ground somewhere where it
couldn't roll away. Sometimes I put my pot on top so that if the bear
canister was messed with, I'd hear the noise. The only time my bear
canister was ever messed with was in Mammoth in the campground. I
left it on top of the bear locker and in the morning it was gone. I
found it rolled away a little bit with bear teeth marks all over it.

I never hung my food on the PCT. I have never been able to throw a
rock with line attached over a high enough branch for the life of me.

On your question about cooking and eating out of the pot vs freezer-
bag cooking, I'd say just do whatever one makes more sense for you.

Most people who do freezer bag cooking do not reuse the bag. One bag,
one meal, throw the mess away.

Since I felt bad about throwing away so many perfectly good bags, I
reused my bags each section and cooked and ate out of my pot. To
clean up I just added a little cold water and scraped the sides with
my spoon and drank the water. I didn't care if my pot didn't get
perfectly clean. I'd give it a good wash when I got to town.