[pct-l] alcohol stoves will be banned this year

Ken Murray kmurray at dr.com
Thu Jan 23 23:59:08 CST 2014

I thought it might be helpful for some who might have missed the PCTA announcement to have this important issue out front, during the planning phase of the hike.

The problem with the Agencies, is that they will place a ban in place with no early warning, and you may only find out because of a notice on a post, when you can't do anything about it. They make these decisions based upon current conditions.

Note that during recent droughts, they have CLOSED some of the SoCal national forests, like the Angeles NF, TO ALL USE. Cannot enter at all. This has generally been in the fall fire conditions, but I think we are having that RIGHT NOW! Yikes.

Normally, there'd be no similar problem moving into N. Calif, but this year.....I just don't know what to expect.

I know that the other rangers I work with on the Sierra NF are very concerned about what we will face.

http://www.pcta.org/2014/critical-things-2014-fire-season-16533/