[pct-l] Plea for Fire Safety 2014

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Tue Jan 21 21:44:36 CST 2014

Anyone hiking anywhere in the wilderness should carry matches!  Waterproof
matches.  Even lighters break down as happened to us this summer in the
Winds, but carrying matches does not mean using them outside of emergency
situations.  On both the PCT and the CDT we didn't have fires except for
once in the very wet Cascades when some of the younger people in my group
just had to have a camp fire one day from Manning.  But other than that, we
never had fires.  The wonder of hiking in all that beauty is far more
important than using up ground wood in the high country or possibly causing
a conflagration in the drier parts.  But always carry matches in any season
when you're outdoors for any length of time.  Even in summer, hypothermia
can be real in just a bit of rain a wind.  A fire and hot food and drink
might be a lifesaver.  That's basic safety for the cost of a few grams you
may never have to use.  You can go stoveless, and I usually do, but that
doesn't mean you shouldn't have the ability to light a fire in an emergency.

Shroomer