[pct-l] Eating where you sleep

Jennifer Zimmerman jenniferlzim at gmail.com
Fri Jan 17 16:12:58 CST 2014

For a long time I've been curious about the supposedly total effectiveness
of the food-separation strategy.  Obviously, storing the source of the
smells away from where you sleep is safer than sleeping with it in your
tent - I'm not trying to suggest anyone should do otherwise.  But animals,
especially bears, have such great noses that there's no way this can be
foolproof.  There's going to be cross-contamination of odor on your hands
or pack or clothing that they're sensitive enough to pick up. Isn't this
part of the reason that Opsaks aren't as effective as advertised?  I'd love
to see hard data on this but I'm not sure how it could be tested under
controlled conditions.