[pct-l] Camera weight

Eric Lee saintgimp at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 13 01:48:24 CST 2014

Brick wrote:

Unless you are planning on making the cover of National Geographic, having a
convenient reasonable quality camera that is easy to use, may be a better
choice than a super high quality one.

I agree with Brick here - whatever camera you choose, make sure you can get
it out, take a picture, and put it safely away without having to remove or
undo your pack.  Speaking from experience, if breaking out the camera is a
huge chore you'll do it far less often.  There are a fair number of people
who have hiked successfully with full DSLR kits but they're in the minority.
Many people find that the overarching goal of hiking to Canada pretty much
overwhelms all other desires and if taking pictures is a time-consuming
activity then pictures don't get taken.

The best camera is the camera that gets used.

Speaking for myself - I enjoy both photography and long-distance hiking but
I learned a long time ago that those two hobbies don't mix well (for me).
If I want to do photography, I go to one place and budget a lot of time to
hang out and catch that magical moment of light.  If I want to do
long-distance hiking then I have to go-go-go and can't wait for good light
or anything else.  On long hikes my (compact) camera is pretty much for
capturing memories, not art, and I had to become ok with that.

Eric