[pct-l] sleeping bag vs quilt

Heather mom_and_alex at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 6 17:37:24 CST 2014

I, too, tend to thrash around a lot and  to sleep cold, especially from my knees to my toes. I have slept comfortably under my ThermaRest Ventra Down Comforter (I do not know of it having a temp rating) several times, by snapping it into its bag configuration, then using my silk liner as a bivy on the outside to snug it around me. In conditions below 32 degrees F, I added the emergency blanket around my legs before drawing the silk over all. (Email me if you're interested in the weight.)

For my head I use my regular winter fleece hat, rather than carry a sleeping hood.

As a bit of digression, what I have not solved is that whatever part of my torso - front, back or side - is against my sleeping pad gets sweaty. I partially solved that by moving to a hammock, but under a ground-tarp it's still a problem. Thinking maybe a Klymit Inertia may solve it - has anyone used that?

Message: 1