[pct-l] Advice on Section C

Joe Waters joewwaters at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 3 09:44:52 CST 2014

Seth,

I hiked from Big Bear to Cajon Pass 18-21 June 2013, but - as other folks have mentioned - recommend doing it earlier in the year.   I do not recall the camping situation at Splinters Cabin, but there looked to be a good camping spot on the downstream side beneath the Deep Creek bridge at Halfmile mile 298.3.  I had lunch there after camping the previous night at 292.0 where the trail crosses Holcomb Creek at Crab Flats Road.

After mile 298, I dry camped - at what I thought was a nice spot with a good view - just off the trail at mile 314.5.  (Some photos of my hike, including of my camping spots, can be seen by clicking on the link "PCT miles 278-342" at http://www.flickr.com/photos/45912277@N03/collections/72157623540968988/ .  Photo titles give the PCT mile for each, and there is more info in the descriptions with each photo.)

Regarding transport out of Cajon Pass, there is (or was, at least last year) a person in nearby Hesperia who runs a taxi service and will pick you up at Cajon Pass.  His phone numbers (which I got by calling the Best Western Motel at Cajon Pass) are 760-488-1569 and 760-810-9188.  His price, as of last year, was $60 cash (or $70 credit card) for picking me up at Cajon McDonalds and carrying me to San Bernardino Amtrak station.

Hope this helps.  Have a great hike.

- Blue Feather