[pct-l] Current Tahoe Backcountry Recon

Ned Tibbits ned at mountaineducation.org
Wed Feb 19 00:02:27 CST 2014

Hey, Paint!

I love your enthusiasm!

Mountain Education runs these 3-day Snow Basics skills courses almost every
weekend during the winter until the ADZPCTKO when we change to teaching
7-day Snow Intermediate and 10-day Snow Advanced courses.

- We usually have about 10 students at an average age of 40, comprising 65%
men and 35% women.
- 4-season tents rule and 3-season tents get flattened by snowfall. It is
not unusual for us to receive 1-3 feet of snow per trip!
- each person needs to carry a liter or two during the day over-snow.
- even though the course is for 3 days, you never know what will happen,
weather-wise, so students bring 4 days of food.
- since we commonly get caught in snowstorms, some cooking is done inside
out tents, so no alcohol stoves are allowed (except perhaps on the April
trips when the weather is nicer and we can cook outside).
- routes in and out are via the Echo Summit Sno-Park parking lot trailhead
on hwy. 50.
- everyone has snowshoes and brings a shovel to dig out their deadman tent
anchors and an avalanche assessment snow pit or snow cave.
- crampons and microspikes are not needed because we are in powder snow, but
we do cover the pros and cons of their use on consolidated snow.
- as far as navigational tools, we teach how to read and compare a
1-dimensional topo map to the 3-dimensional environment, knowing where you
are by a constant awareness of what's around you. No gadgetry. Nothing to
break down or batteries to die.

Oh, and Paint...I will post another SBC trip report after next weekend's
course in Oregon and I'll try to have more gory detail!

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education
www.mountaineducation.org