[pct-l] Hydration & Electrolyte Replacement Strategy

Sean Nordeen sean.nordeen at gmail.com
Sun Feb 16 01:37:47 CST 2014

A couple of comments:

I don't like putting drink mixes into a bladder since you are putting
things that can promote bacteria growth into them and cleaning a bladder
out thoroughly is a pain, particularly on a long hike.  I carry an empty
Gatoraid/Poweraid bottle to add stuff to.  I generally take a short break
every hour or two and I drink a lot from the bottle then though its
possible to grab it from my pack side pocket as I hike and return it if I
want.  I also carry a water bladder, with just water, for drinking as I
hike.

I generally use Gatoraid mixes and Emergen-C for backpacking.  I like the
Emergen-C mixes since that also has things like potassium which can help
prevent cramping.  What I don't like is the price of it.  Though I don't
generally care about calorie content since I'm not drinking to get that, I
do avoid artificial sweetners such as aspartame for health reasons.

-Miner