[pct-l] Feet

Dan Welch welchenergy at gmail.com
Thu Feb 13 10:14:37 CST 2014

<<  When does the foot swelling begin?  I have been out for a couple of 3-4
day trips in my old shoes and have never experienced any swelling in my
feet.  >>

That's a great question.  Years ago when I was about 40, I got into
competitive running and was soon doing some serious marathon training.  Over
the course of a year or two, my feet grew by at least 1 full size and maybe
2.  Even though I backed off running considerably (to save my knees) the
feet never seemed to shrink back towards original size.  Years later, my
feet are still at the enlarged size.  I have section hiked on the AT and PCT
for up to a month and never noticed any additional change in shoe size. Of
course during the day (running or hiking) the feet grow a little bit, but go
down again overnight - but that's a different issue...

My conclusions have been (rightly or wrongly) that once your feet have grown
(and assuming they don't go back down to original size) that the process
won't repeat itself.  I can't imagine my feet growing another size or two.
I'm not a very large guy, so I could start looking like Bozo if that were to
happen...

Anyway, I'm starting out with shoes just a little oversized and I'll be
prepared to size up if needed when I buy the next pair.  I think the best
advice I've heard is not to buy shoes ahead of time allowing you to adapt on
the fly.

Good luck!
Timberline