[pct-l] Foot Ready

Mary Kwart mkwart at gci.net
Fri Feb 7 20:54:43 CST 2014

My input is geared to those who are older hikers--in their 60's and
70's. After several years of long distance backpacking after I retired
( I am 62) I settled on men's shoes only--I used to wear size 8 1/2
womens but now wear size 9 1/2  men's. Larger shoes cured many of my
foot problems (i.e. blisters, and some ball of foot pain). I still
suffered some ball of foot pain when hiking over 10 miles a day, so I
replaced the insoles in the shoes with "Sole Signature Footbeds" from
REI. I had orthotics, but got rid of them. I don't need them with the
high arch support of the Sole insoles.

I have really seen that as I get older the fat pad on the bottom of my
feet has gotten thinner, so I do use a padded insole. I also use
marathon runner socks that are padded on the ball of the foot and the
heel--the rest of the sock is very thin. The name is Thor Lo 84N's. I
no longer wear double layer socks, not needing them anymore.

All of my foot wear choices have evolved over the years, as I became
more fit and more used to hiking with a pack over long distances. What
I wear now may not be the best for an older person just starting out
with long distance backpacking. If you keep backpacking, you will
evolve as you get into better shape. Your feet will tolerate lighter
weight boots, socks and insoles (or lack thereof).

--Fireweed