[pct-l] Foot ready, are you?

Joshua Walsh jpwalk38z at aol.com
Fri Feb 7 09:19:38 CST 2014

Wow, as a newbie I can see how foot problems stop soooo many hikers.

After I read many PCT desert trail journals, there appears to be difficulty with foot problems past the first 200 to 400 miles.

Any Solutions or advice?

To begin with, I was thinking of only hiking max of 15 miles/day the first 100.

Secondly, pre-training months before the start date as follows:

In consideration of these factors: Heat, Friction/Pressure, and Weighted Pounding..

1. Battery Heated socks with sand paper inserts covered by.. (Waterproof Socks)

2. Waterproof thick socks, wrapped with.. (Ankle Weights)

3. Ankle weights, slowly increasing the amount of ankle weight and mileage over time in an attempt to partially mimic backpack weight without straining the back. Adding a weighted hip belt might also prove helpful.

Sounds a little crazy?

Tentative Plan:  start with milder everyday use (not at work) and slowly increasing the time and intensity. Build up over a few weeks to a month until I can jog up and downhill with the above preparation on a daily basis. Full training time may vary depending on my personal progress and adaptation.

My personal belief is that some of us require more time for our skin layers, muscles, tendons and foot bone structures to adapt and grow stronger overtime. Hopefully I can avoid the micro-foot fractures and shin-splints with this progressive approach.

Please respond with comments for or against. Any constructive advice is welcome!

JP