[pct-l] PCT international hopefuls seek local knowledge

Paint Your Wagon n801yz at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 2 16:30:15 CST 2014

Louisa,

Glad to learn of your good fortune in finding a suitable place stateside, to prepare for your hike.

I forgot to mention another hostel that you’ll likely encounter on your epic hike north...

The Whitney Portal Hostel, located in Lone Pine, Ca.
http://www.whitneyportalstore.com/whitney-portal-hostel.html

I can report that the accommodations are superb,
and- they are very hiker friendly.

There’s a dorm room with bunk-beds (5 bunks = 10 beds), and individual rooms that can be shared or occupied as yours all alone.

There’s a full (split) bathroom set up, (stool, shower, and separate sink w/ mirror) TV (cable) and a microwave, table and chair.

I have a special affinity for Lone Pine, having lived and worked there,
for a couple of months (Oct., Nov., Dec., 2012) while laying over at the De La Cour Ranch,
on Horseshoe Meadow Rd., once I came off the big mountain.

Doug, the hostel owner, also operates the Whitney Portal Store, near the Mt. Whitney trailhead (east side).

Doug has made special arrangements with a third party to manage the hostel.
The thinking is... to make the downstairs more user friendly, and more in line with a home like atmosphere.
The environment was more of a banquet room, or commercial in feel, and lacking a personal touch.
I learned of the possibilities to come, last year (October, 2013) and look forward to an update as to the progress thus far, in the coming days.

I believe a full kitchen is planned.
What existed for a kitchen was very sparse and consisted of a refrigerator, microwave, table, and storage cabinets.
No water or sink.
Electricity, for dehydrating was available.
I realize you have found a temporary home with a veteran PCT hiker in America.
I just wanted to apprise you and others as well, as to what’s available off the trail near Lone Pine, regarding a hostel.
It’s 22 miles from Horseshoe Mdw. Campground, down the road to Lone Pine.

One memorable occasion, I spent the night in a USFS pit toilet, avoiding the harsh fall (October) weather, at 10,000’.

I hope we cross paths.

<>Paint<>

PS There’s also a public county campground one mile out of town.
Portagee Joe’s.
http://www.inyocountycamping.com/portagee_joe_campground.html

PSS Another public (BLM) campground is nearby as well.
Tuttle Creek.
http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/bishop/camping/tuttle.html

PSS What the heck.
Might as well add Diaz Lake into the mix.
It’s 3 miles south of Lone Pine, and can be reached by taking Lubken Canyon Rd. (east), to the 395, from off of Horseshoe Mdw. Rd., just past (north of) De La Cour ranch.
http://www.inyocountycamping.com/diaz_lake_campground.html