[pct-l] 2011 Thru-hiker Photo Essay from the Sierras (Big Snow Year)

Sam Ward samward36 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 19 19:09:16 CST 2014

Hey Alan,

Sorry for the late response, I think the email got filtered out by gmail.
That is an awesome photo of Mather and looks exactly like the one we have,
just a lot bigger pack! This one may be my favorite of the set, just going
straight up the Forrester chute:
http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=206015

Really awesome looking at those and how 40 years later it looks exactly the
same. The Kennedy meadows lodge looks huge though.

We were there June 18, 2011. We had 90-percent coverage until about Tahoe
then 60-percent to Sierra City, after that we were consistently seeing dry
trail, to us that was "out of it" and made a huge difference in our
progress.

I always wondered if snowshoes would have been worth it, skis too although
we did a lot of glissading to make up time on the passes. Our packs were
pushed to their limits in the Sierras at 40-50lbs so we probably would need
something bigger to accommodate the extra snow gear. Going into it we had
no idea what we were getting into, in hindsight I would consider snowshoes
at least.

http://www.theperipherymag.com/essay-pacific-crest-trail

Sam Ward PCT 11 AT 08