[pct-l] 2011 Thru-hiker Photo Essay from the Sierras (Big SnowYear)

ned at mountaineducation.org ned at mountaineducation.org
Mon Dec 15 22:43:45 CST 2014

Mather in May is usually snow-bound after a "normal" winter. Since Mountain
Education is normally in there during May teaching our Snow Advanced Courses
for PCT thru hikers and others wanting to learn the techniques and wisdom to
travel there and then, over the past 32 years, more often than not the pass
has looked like this picture rather than the way it has been looking (drier)
after recent dry winters. Snowline in May is often at about 9,500-10,000
feet.

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education, Inc.
www.mountaineducation.org
ned at mountaineducation.org

Mission:
"To minimize wilderness accidents, injury, and illness in order to maximize
wilderness enjoyment, safety, and personal growth, all through experiential
education and risk awareness training."