[pct-l] Bear Canisters: Good for Bear, not for Hungry Hiker?

Brick Robbins brick at brickrobbins.com
Wed Aug 13 12:50:48 CDT 2014

On Wed, Aug 13, 2014 at 10:24 AM,  <gary_schenk at verizon.net> wrote:
> Brick, I totally agree with your comments. Bear cans seem to be something that people have blown totally out of proportion. Some act like they're being asked to carry an anvil around.
>
> Not that that slowed down Norman Clyde!

The last time I hiked that area on a JMT thru hike, I did not use a
bear can, but I stored my food legally in a bear box each night. The
only section that was a "stretch"  was Toulomne to Red's meadow, as
that is about 30 miles, and over Donahue Pass, but it is doable, at
least for me.

It does limit where you can stop.  For folks that can't do a 30 mile
day, the only legal option is a bear can. I doubt anyone could make
Glen Aulin to Duck Pass in on day, as it is 50 miles over some pretty
difficult territory.