[pct-l] Water Cache at Scissors Xing

Gail Van Velzer vanvelzer at charter.net
Sun Apr 27 19:59:56 CDT 2014

I have thought many times about putting teeth behind permits.  Just the fire
permit alone should make a person prove they know what they are doing.
Permits are issued for the asking.  That doesn't ensure safety.  Not even a
question is asked when you get a permit and certainly nothing is enforced!
I agree that a PCT permit should only be issued after a person has proven
they have the experience to tackle such a thing.  Too many people begin with
no experience with a long distance hike let alone any backpacking knowledge.
I just met a person today at the Kickoff that told me they have only
backpacked a few times....and they are tackling the PCT?