[pct-l] Pct-L Digest, Vol 76, Issue 31 Frogg toggs

rbelshee rbelshee at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 27 17:09:04 CDT 2014

"comment on the frogg togg ultralite rain jacket & pants....a $0.99 poncho"

Frog Togg jacket was marginally okay, but not very good. In real rain water came through the cuff and accumulated in a puddle in the sleeve. If you use hiking poles this is a problem.  Water also accumulated somehow on the back at the bottom and dumped in if I bent forward. Small tears were easily patched however.

Frogg Togg pants were not acceptable. The seat ripped out for several of us. The leg had elastic at the cuff so water does not run off but instead is guided into your shoe.

I use a Go-lite rain pant and 99 cent poncho. In cold rain I add the Frogg Togg jacket under the poncho and pull the sleeve cuffs over my rain gloves to limit leakage. I stay dry and don't need a pack cover. The main disadvantages are that the cheap plastic poncho takes forever to dry, and is too hot in a warm rain (think AT). Durability has not been a big problem (duct tape) and they are easily replaced.

It's not a fool proof system but keeps me drier than any of the lightweight rain jackets which soon leak right through the fabric.

Steady
hikepaddle.blogspot.com