[pct-l] Avoiding Heat Rash

walt Durling durlfam4 at icloud.com
Tue Apr 22 17:27:39 CDT 2014

Chris. That sounds problematic.  Have you experienced this problem before while backpacking?  Obviously you'll need to heal before you put your pack on again.  Your shoes should be a bit larger than you normally wear to account for feet swelling while you are hiking, along with being lightweight and breathable.  If you have waterproof shoes, ditch them since they hold in the sweat and would add to feet irritation.  Consider merino or synthetic lightweight socks.

Is this a new pack for you?  What type of shirt were you wearing?  Something synthetic and breathable to dissipate moisture would be optimal.  Once you are healed, you might try some body/foot powder that absorbs moisture.  Put it on those affected areas before you hike to see if that helps. You might also seek a medical opinion if it persists.  Good luck Walt

Sent from my iPad