[pct-l] Ursack

Jamie Hogan lists_for_bearvault at san.rr.com
Tue Apr 22 09:33:28 CDT 2014

Gary, at least one bear in Yosemite "learned" that by picking up the
Garcias (in it's own fumbling way) and dropping the unit on rocks it would
crack...I don't know how that story ended but I did hear reports from
ranges about the incidents.  They were rare and the problem went away
(somehow).

I have no information on the locations of Bearikade failure(s) other than
it involved Grizzlies- but I'm sure those instances were rare.

In Rae Lakes there was not a bear that could open them by popping them
open. The problem was twofold- Rae Lakes is a very popular route for
novices who did not close the unit correctly and we had a design that, if
the user did not watch the lid when closing it, allowed the lid to not
close fully.  The design was changed to address this possibility of not
closing correctly and we stationed newer units at all of the permit pickup
locations for Rae Lakes where the hiker swapped out their older unit for
the newer design. It was an expensive solution but an example of what we do
to support hikers if there is an issue with our units, being hikers
ourselves.