[pct-l] Mountain Fire Detour

robert bobbilbo at msn.com
Mon Apr 21 20:12:28 CDT 2014

Almost all thru-hikers are skipping the 12 "open" miles north of Rt. 74 and finding rides to Idyllwild.  Since this route has been widely disseminated as an "alternative," it seems almost everyone is ignoring any alternative that actually incorporates the open section.  In fact one thru-hiker couple I spoke to today at the Pleasant Valley Cafe said they thought they had no other alternative.  It seems the path of least resistance has become the unofficial "official" alternative.  I guess Class of 2014 Certificates and Medals should be issued in 2 versions, one with an asterisk.  I'm not so much a purist that I'm going to do a long road walk when there isn't an official alternative, but I do think completion means doing all open portions of the trail.