[pct-l] Women Trekkers

Jackie McDonnell yogihikes at gmail.com
Sun Apr 13 10:19:15 CDT 2014

Marmot is a good friend.  My post here is not directed at Marmot. It is
directed at the very concept of a "Women's Trekkers Workshop".  ALDHA also
has something like this at their Gathering, titled "Women's Backpacking
Workshop".

"Women's Issues" workshops play directly into societal pressures that
"women shouldn't......" or "women can't......." or "it's dangerous for a
woman to thru-hike solo".  It plays into fears, and it's a load of crap.

There is nothing special about being a female hiker.  We are exactly the
same as the men:  we get stinky, we endure the same weather, we hike up the
same hills, we have the same waterless stretches, we do the same hitches,
we all deal with safety issues.

Being on the trail isn't that different from normal living.  You stay away
from sketchy characters, you make friends, you do things together.  The
difference on the trail is that now you're hitching and camping.  Guess
what?  Male hikers also hitch and camp. They accomplish this just fine
without previous hikers holding their hands at a "Men's Trekkers Workshop".

You wanna know how to deal with your menstrual cycle?  EXACTLY THE SAME as
whatever you do at home.  Having a menstrual cycle is the ONLY difference
between male hikers and female hikers.  And guess what?  That's also a
difference in the off-trail lives of men and women.

Supporting and attending these ridiculous "Women's Only" workshops and
Facebook Groups perpetuates the myth that women need special help which men
do not need.  Don't get sucked in by the fear-mongers.

I'm a female hiker with 20,000 miles, and I've never needed or participated
in a "Women's Only" workshop or Facebook Group.  If you want to ask a
question and you're too afraid to ask it in a forum or workshop which
includes men, then you need to rethink your level of independence.  Perhaps
thru-hiking isn't for you.

Go ahead, hit me.  I can take it.  I'm not afraid to post my thoughts to a
forum which includes men.

Yogi
www.yogisbooks.com