[pct-l] [John Muir Trail] Re: earliest hiking recommendation for this year

Ned Tibbits ned at mountaineducation.org
Tue Apr 8 13:08:30 CDT 2014

Mountain Education will be going over Forester Pass, (southern JMT) May 17th this year and we will call back via sat phone to the Kennedy Meadows General Store to tell any hikers there where the snowline currently is and how extensive the snow cover is. We’ll let the PCTA know, as well, so Jack can put the info up on their website and FB page.

In the past, snowline has been around 10,000 feet in mid-May. How long it sits there is based on when the Thaw starts and how warm the days become thereafter!

Follow our wilderness course post-trip reports and photos on Facebook and you’ll see what its like out there with commentary about this year’s conditions compared to the last 32 that we’ve been teaching there!

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education
www.mountaineducation.org